Sicily is in fact part of Italy and is the biggest island within the Mediterranean with a bunch of points of interest that make it well-known.
This beautiful island is likely one of the twenty areas of Italy and is known for things like Mount Etna, The Roman Theatre of Taormina, in addition to the bustling metropolis of Palermo—which is an attraction in its personal proper and may undoubtedly be included in your Sicily itinerary.
Sicily is an island that has the right mixture of gorgeous landscapes, incredible seashores, unimaginable delicacies in addition to certainly one of Europe’s finest climates, so it’s no marvel that this island is a favourite amongst vacationers and holidaymakers.
So, allow us to present you what an 8 day Sicily itinerary might seem like.
Right here’s the best way to plan an eight day Sicily itinerary
Let’s begin off your Sicily journey in Palermo.
Day 1-3: Palermo
You’ll start your dream journey to Sicily, by beginning within the capital metropolis of Palermo which is known for its lovely fountains and wonderful piazzas. However largely for its unimaginable meals tradition—which is likely one of the fundamental causes you’re in Italy proper?
Sicilian delicacies is out of this world and attracts many individuals for that reason alone, and one of many main points of interest you can not overlook is the traditional La Vucciria meals market. This market holds social significance throughout the metropolis in addition to enjoying a central position right here. This iconic meals market is the place you’ll be able to take pleasure in every kind of scrumptious and native road meals, expertise locals having fun with the dolce vita in addition to embrace the full of life environment, which makes this a standout spot.
To get right here, make your approach to Piazza Caracciolo, Palermo anytime between 7 am and seven pm Monday – Saturday. Palermo is a perfect spot to attempt some well-known road meals akin to arancini (Italian rice balls) and sfincione (Sicilian pizza), in addition to take a cooking class to study the secrets and techniques behind these mouthwatering recipes. Should you’re feeling adventurous, you’ll want to attempt the well-known beef spleen sandwich referred to as pani ca meusa.
With full bellies, you might be able to tackle a few of Palermo’s finest points of interest over these few days.
- Cattedrale di Palermo: This spectacular Roman Catholic church dates again to 1185, and is a incredible constructing of nice significance throughout the metropolis. It’s open Mon-Sat from 7am-7pm and Solar from 8am-7pm.
- Palazzo Dei Normanni: That is by far one of many best-preserved examples of Arabic-Norman-Byzantine structure and might be visited Mon-Sat from 8:30 am-4:30 pm and Solar from 8:30 am-12:30 pm.
- Teatro Massimo: The biggest opera home in Italy and the third-largest on the planet.
If you end up with time in your arms and are searching for extra issues to do, then make certain so as to add these optionally available points of interest to your checklist.
- St John of the Hermits: A medieval Norman church with spectacular Arab-Norman structure. You may go to Mon-Sat from 9:30am-6:30am and Solar from 9:30am-1:30pm.
- The Ballaro market: One other market to expertise extra scrumptious Sicilian meals in addition to clothes. Yow will discover some mouthwatering fruit, cheeses, recent fish, and native greens. Mon-Sat 7:30 am-8:30pm/Solar 7:30am-2pm.
Day 3-5: Taormina
Right now, you’ll go away Palermo and comply with the north coast in direction of Taormina, stopping off at Cefalu—a shocking hamlet by the ocean—earlier than persevering with to the east coast of the island. Taormina is a incredible resort city, which is certainly value a go to. In your first night, make certain to take a stroll down the bustling fundamental road of Corso Umberto and decide a bar or restaurant to spend at for the night.
After dinner, why not soak up an open-air efficiency on the Greek Theatre which dates again to the third Century—assured to be an incredible expertise, in addition to present insatiable views of the well-known Mt Etna within the distance.
The following day, there are a bunch of actions you’ll be able to take pleasure in on this lovely coastal city, together with:
- Enjoyable on one of many seashores akin to Isola Bella.
- Having fun with the panoramic view from Piazza IX Aprile, which has one of the best view of town and Mt Etna and is, in fact, open 24 hours a day to take pleasure in.
- Chiesa Madonna Della Rocco for extra unimaginable metropolis and sea views, a peaceable haven to calm down and the right spot to take pleasure in a glass of native wine. Mon-Solar 8:30am-7pm.
- Alcantara Gorge, which is a 50-minute drive from Taormina and is a geological marvel, in addition to the right place to go to to see wonderful waterfalls and take a refreshing dip within the Alcantara River.
Spend your second night in Palermo listening to dwell music and having fun with some scrumptious Italian delicacies on the town.
Tip: The Godfather followers can go to a number of of the film’s movie areas within the city of Savoca, simply exterior Taormina, which was used because the fictional city of Corleone.
Day 5-6: Catania
After breakfast, you’ll go away Taormina and head to Catania. Nevertheless, you’ll in fact be stopping at one of the vital well-known points of interest on the island alongside the way in which–Mount Etna. This energetic stratovolcano is the tallest volcano in Europe and attracts many guests to marvel on the sheer sight of this pure attraction. You may both tackle the Mt Etna path, which is round a 1-hour return and is of medium grade, or you’ll be able to merely spend a while having fun with the views and the infinite picture alternatives earlier than persevering with to Catania.
Associated learn: The World’s Most Well-known Volcanoes
Word: Whereas Italy is usually not an unsafe place to go to, you have to be conscious of pickpockets and petty theft, particularly in touristy areas, so be vigilant and handle your valuables in locations akin to this.
Catania is the second-largest metropolis in Sicily and is a spot that you just simply can’t overlook in your Sicily itinerary planning. When arriving, anticipate to be greeted by a incredible view of Mount Etna, which types the long-lasting backdrop of this beautiful metropolis. Right here you’ll spend the night absorbing the environment of town in all its glory, which is clear on the Piazza Duomo.
The next day you should have the entire day to discover town’s sights, together with:
- Palazzo Biscari: Go to this marvelous palace for its unimaginable Catanese Baroque structure, full with beautiful frescos. Provided that this historic location is now getting used for live shows, examine their web site for upcoming unmissable occasions. Mon-Solar 10am-1pm.
- The Cathedral of Catania: This lovely and historic cathedral is centrally positioned, so there isn’t a motive to overlook out on seeing the fantastic baroque structure which makes this so common. Be looking out for the domed roof, the columned facade, and the quite a few frescoes that may be admired for hours. Devoted to the patron saint of Catania, St Agatha, whose competition is held from February 3rd – 5th. Mon-Sat 10:30am-12pm/4pm-5:30pm, closed Sundays.
Throughout your time sightseeing in Catania, make certain to refresh your self with a chilly and fruity beverage from one of many historic Catania kiosks which date again to the 1800s and are present in most of the piazzas, particularly Piazza Umberto. Take pleasure in one other lovely night in Catania, with a scrumptious native dinner of Pasta Alla Norma (pasta and eggplant) and a shocking sundown over Mount Etna, as you soak up all you may have encountered immediately, as a part of your 8 day Sicily itinerary.
Day 6-8: Siracusa
Right now, after a recent and engaging Italian breakfast, alongside some world-famous espresso, you’ll set your self up for the day and make your approach to Siracusa, which is a perfect spot to find its points of interest in addition to being near some main stop-off factors too. In your means right here, you’ll be able to cease on the archeological web site of Agrigento, which is likely one of the most vital historic websites on the entire island. After marveling on the numerous mesmerizing ruins, you’ll proceed to Siracuse, the place extra journey awaits.
In your first day in Siracusa, you’re going to get the prospect to find many issues, together with:
- The Fontana Diana on the Piazza Archimed: Relationship again to 1907, it is a main function within the metropolis of Siracusa, which is devoted to the Goddess, Diana.
- Ortigia, which is accessed through a bridge and is known for its unimaginable Baroque type Piazza del Duomo–probably the greatest in Italy.
In your second day in Siracusa, you’ll go to Modica, which is a haven for the candy tooth, provided that it’s well-known for the Modica goodies—which you’ll style and, in fact, take dwelling. This city is famed for its lovely array of historic buildings, its chocolate museum, and its tiny slim, picturesque streets.
You’ll spend the remainder of the day as you please, wandering this lovely hilly city, earlier than making your means again to Catania in your final night in Sicily, closing off your incredible 8 day Sicily itinerary.
Planning your journey to Sicily