With 11 million web page views and counting since 2013, these tremendous gentle and chewy chocolate chip cookies are the most well-liked cookie recipe on my web site. Melted butter, extra brown sugar than white sugar, cornstarch, and an additional egg yolk assure absolutely the chewiest chocolate chip cookie texture. And also you don’t even want a mixer!
Reader Adrienne commented: “These are the very best cookies I’ve ever had. Unimaginable. Don’t minimize corners otherwise you’ll miss out. Do all the pieces she says and also you’re in for the very best cookies of your life.”
There are millions of chocolate chip cookies recipes on the market. Everybody has their favourite and this one is mine. Only a look on the a whole lot of opinions within the feedback part tells me that this recipe is a favourite for a lot of others too! In truth, in the event you requested me which recipe to maintain in your apron pocket, my reply could be this one. Simply learn the feedback on a publish in our Fb group. These cookies are liked… and, warning: they disappear FAST.
The recipe can be included in two of my printed cookbooks (in Sally’s Baking Habit, I swap chocolate chips for M&Ms/chocolate chips combo).
Why Are These My BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies?
- The chewiest of chewy and the softest of soppy.
- Additional thick similar to my favourite peanut butter cookies!
- Bakery-style BIG.
- Exploding with chocolate.
Again in 2013, I examined this cookie recipe again and again to verify they’re completely excellent. I nonetheless have a giant area in my coronary heart (and abdomen) for these Comfortable Chocolate Chip Cookies. As we speak’s recipe is comparable, however I elevated the chewiness issue.
Reader A.Phillips commented: “Look no additional. That is it. That is the right cookie recipe. Observe her directions precisely and the cookies might be chewy and superb. … These are probably the most excellent cookies I’ve made and I’ve tried at the very least 20 totally different recipes.”
Key Substances for Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
The cookie dough is constructed from your commonplace cookie substances: flour, leavener, salt, sugar, butter, egg, and vanilla. It’s the ratios and temperature of these substances that make this recipe stand out from the remainder.
- Melted butter: Melted butter produces the chewiest cookies. It could actually, nonetheless, make your baked cookies greasy, so I made positive there’s sufficient flour to counteract that. And utilizing melted butter can be the rationale you don’t want a mixer to make these cookies, similar to these pumpkin chocolate chip cookies.
- Extra brown sugar than white sugar: Extra brown sugar than white sugar: The moisture in brown sugar guarantees an additional gentle and chewy baked cookie. White granulated sugar remains to be obligatory, although. It’s dry and helps the cookies unfold. A little bit little bit of unfold is an effective factor.
- Cornstarch: Why? Cornstarch provides the cookies that extremely gentle consistency all of us love. Plus, it helps hold the cookies superbly thick. We use the identical trick when making shortbread cookies.
- Egg yolk: One other option to promise a brilliant chewy chocolate chip cookie is to make use of an additional egg yolk. The additional egg yolk provides richness, gentle tenderness, and binds the dough. You will want 1 egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature. See the recipe Notes for methods to deliver your eggs to room temperature rapidly.
The dough might be gentle and the chocolate chips might not stick due to the melted butter. Simply hold stirring it; I promise it should come collectively. Due to the melted butter and further egg yolk, the slick dough doesn’t even seem like regular cookie dough! Belief the method…
An important step is subsequent.
2 Main Success Ideas
1. Chill the dough. Chilling the cookie dough is so necessary on this recipe! Except you need the cookies to unfold into a large cookie puddle, chilling the dough is necessary right here. It permits the substances to settle collectively after the blending stage however most significantly: chilly dough leads to thicker cookies. Cowl the cookie dough and chill for at the very least 2–3 hours and even as much as 3–4 days.
After chilling, the dough is kind of strong, so let it sit at room temperature for 10 minutes (to melt it up barely) earlier than shaping. (No time to relax? Make these gentle & chewy chocolate chip cookie bars as an alternative!)
2. Roll the cookie dough balls additional tall. After the dough has chilled, scoop out a ball of dough that’s 3 Tablespoons for XL cookies or about 2 heaping Tablespoons (1.75 ounces or 50g) for medium/giant cookies. I normally use this medium cookie scoop and make it a heaping scoop. However making the cookie dough balls tall and textured, fairly than extensive and easy, is my tried-and-true trick that leads to thick and textured-looking cookies. We’re speaking thick bakery-style cookies with wrinkly, textured tops. Your cookie dough ought to look much less like balls and extra like, nicely, lumpy columns, LOL.
Watch the video beneath to see how I form them. I additionally reveal how I take advantage of a spoon to reshape them throughout baking if I see they’re spreading an excessive amount of.
One other Success Tip: While you take away the cookie dough from the fridge, the dough could also be barely crumbly. Scooping after which shaping it with heat palms retains it intact.
Instruments I Suggest for This Recipe
I’ve examined many baking instruments and these are the precise merchandise I take advantage of, belief, and suggest to readers. You’ll want most of those instruments when making sugar cookies and snickerdoodles, too!
Can I Freeze This Cookie Dough?
Sure, completely. After chilling, generally I roll the cookie dough into balls and freeze them in a big zipped-top bag. Then I bake them straight from the freezer, holding them within the oven for an additional minute. This manner you’ll be able to bake simply a few cookies every time the craving hits. (The chewy chocolate chip cookie craving is a tough one to disregard.)
If you happen to’re interested by freezing cookie dough, right here’s my The best way to Freeze Cookie Dough web page.
Fb member Leigh commented: These are the one CC cookies I’ve made for years (and this recipe is how I got here to be such a fan of SBA!) This recipe labored nice after I lived in Denver and had points with baking at altitude, and it’s nonetheless our favourite now that we’re again at sea degree. I normally make 4x-6x batches and freeze tons of cookie balls to bake later.
In Brief, Right here Are the Secrets and techniques to Comfortable & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- Cornstarch helps product gentle and thick cookies.
- Utilizing extra brown sugar than white sugar leads to a moister, softer cookie.
- An additional egg yolk will increase chewiness.
- Rolling the cookie dough balls to be tall and lumpy as an alternative of extensive and easy provides the cookies a bakery-style textured thickness.
- Utilizing melted butter (and barely extra flour to counteract the liquid) will increase chewiness.
- Chilling the dough leads to a thicker cookie.
Q: Have you ever baked a batch earlier than?
These tremendous gentle and chewy chocolate chip cookies are the most well-liked cookie recipe on my web site for good purpose. Melted butter, extra brown sugar than white sugar, cornstarch, and an additional egg yolk assure absolutely the chewiest chocolate chip cookie texture. The cookie dough is slick and requires chilling previous to shaping the cookies. Assessment recipe notes earlier than starting.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt collectively in a big bowl. Put aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the melted butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar collectively till no brown sugar lumps stay. Whisk within the egg and egg yolk. Lastly, whisk within the vanilla extract. The combination might be skinny. Pour into dry substances and blend along with a big spoon or rubber spatula. The dough might be very gentle, thick, and seem greasy. Fold within the chocolate chips. The chocolate chips might not follow the dough due to the melted butter, however do your greatest to mix them.
- Cowl the dough tightly and chill within the fridge for at the very least 2–3 hours or as much as 3 days. I extremely suggest chilling the cookie dough in a single day for much less spreading.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and permit it to barely soften at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (163°C). Line giant baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Put aside.
- Utilizing a cookie scoop or Tablespoon measuring spoon, measure 3 scant Tablespoons (about 2 ounces, or 60g) of dough for XL cookies or 2 heaping Tablespoons (about 1.75 ounces, or 50g) of dough for medium/giant cookies. Roll right into a ball, ensuring the form is taller fairly than extensive—nearly like a cylinder. This helps the cookies bake up thicker. Repeat with remaining dough. Place 8–9 balls of dough onto every cookie sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 12–13 minutes or till the sides are very frivolously browned. (XL cookies can take nearer to 14 minutes.) The facilities will look very gentle, however the cookies will proceed to set as they cool. Cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes. In the meantime, press a couple of additional chocolate chips into the tops of the nice and cozy cookies. That is optionally available and just for seems to be. After 10 minutes of cooling on the baking sheets, switch cookies to a wire rack to chill utterly.
- Cookies keep contemporary lined at room temperature for as much as 1 week.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: You can also make the cookie dough and chill it within the fridge for as much as 2–3 days. Permit to return to room temperature then proceed with step 5. Baked cookies freeze nicely for as much as 3 months. Unbaked cookie dough balls freeze nicely for as much as 3 months. Bake frozen cookie dough balls for an additional minute, no have to thaw. Click on right here for my suggestions and tips on freezing cookie dough.
- Cornstarch: If you happen to don’t have cornstarch, you’ll be able to go away it out. The cookies are nonetheless very gentle.
- Butter: Keep away from letting the melted butter cool for too lengthy in any other case your dough might be crumbly as an alternative of soppy (and your cookies will find yourself too puffy). You need it nonetheless a bit heat. Salted butter can be utilized as an alternative. Cut back salt within the cookie dough to 1/4 teaspoon.
- Egg & Egg Yolk: Room temperature egg + egg yolk are greatest. Sometimes, if a recipe requires room temperature or melted butter, it’s good follow to make use of room temperature eggs as nicely. To deliver eggs to room temperature rapidly, merely place the entire eggs right into a glass of heat water for five minutes.
- Can I add nuts or totally different add-ins? Sure, completely. So long as the full quantity of add-ins is round 1 – 1 and 1/4 cups, you’ll be able to add something together with chopped nuts, M&Ms, white chocolate chips, dried cranberries, chopped peanut butter cups, and so forth. You might even add 1/2 cup (80g) sprinkles to make a sprinkle chocolate chip cookie.
- Be sure you take a look at my prime 5 cookie baking suggestions AND these are my 10 must-have cookie baking instruments.
Key phrases: chocolate chip cookies
Make a Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake subsequent time.
Baking Made Simple
Are you new to this web site? This e mail sequence is a good place to start out. I’ll stroll you thru a couple of of my hottest recipes and present you precisely why they work.