Ten years in the past, Vypin (Kochi) born T Okay Sajeevan famous that the amount of produce from his natural vegetable backyard had drastically lowered.
This, he realised, was as a result of the bushes he had planted right here had grown a lot that they had been now limiting the movement of satisfactory daylight. The answer could be to arrange an identical backyard on his terrace, he thought, the place there could be loads of daylight out there.
However that’s the place the precise downside lay. Sajeevan’s home has a slanted terrace, so holding luggage or pots there could be troublesome. Unwilling to surrender, the previous engineer began considering of how he might modify his terrace to accommodate the vegetation.
The thought was to construct a stand in keeping with the slope of the terrace and place the pots on it.
First, he drew a fundamental design of the stand, which might have two pairs of legs, each of various lengths. He then measured the slope of his terrace and determined the size of the stand legs primarily based on that. His concept was to place one develop bag or pot on every stand, however later, he welded three collectively to make elongated ones and scale back prices incurred.
He took assist from a close-by steel workshop employee to weld the stand. The employee cross checked the measurements and constructed one stand on a trial foundation, utilizing a gentle metal (MS) pipe. A single stand is available in a sq. form of 8 inches every. It suits completely for a develop bag and may even maintain the burden of an grownup, Sanjeevan says. In case of triple stands, the size and breadth could be one metre and eight inches (21 cm) respectively.
Right this moment, Sajeevan’s terrace has 100 stands constructed for a worth of lower than Rs 7,000. “This was 10 years in the past. The price of supplies and labour cost has shot up now. Even then, it gained’t price greater than Rs 15,000 for 100 single stands now,” says the 63-year-old.
A flourishing backyard
Sajeevan is a retired engineer who labored for firms in Thrissur and Ernakulam. Vegetable farming has been his favorite pastime for over 30 years and the household principally use the produce from their very own backyard. Extra harvest is offered within the close by retailer or distributed amongst household and mates.
“I develop principally seasonal greens. This contains brinjal, girls’ finger, tomato, corn, drumstick, beans, peas, pumpkin, ash gourd, spinach, capsicum, differing kinds and hues of chilli, and extra. I additionally develop ardour fruit, mango, and lemon,” he provides. “There are over 150 develop luggage on my terrace now.”
The sexagenarian additionally says that over the previous 10 years, a number of individuals have visited his terrace to see the concept and a few of them have arrange comparable stands.
For those who plan to arrange develop bag stands in your slanted terrace, listed here are some ideas from Sajeevan:
- Share the concept with somebody who’s skilled in steel and welding work and search their assist.
- Determine what number of stands you want primarily based on the variety of develop luggage or pots to be positioned.
- Strive sq. pipe as an alternative of MS pipe, which lasts longer and is less expensive.
- Earthen or cement pots may also be positioned on the stand.
- Because the stands are positioned the place there may be direct publicity to solar and rain, bear in mind to color them often to keep away from rusting.
- Repair the scale of the stand on the premise of the diameter of the pots.
- Examine the supply of house and construct stands accordingly to carry a number of pots. This may also help save materials and labour prices.
- Do not forget that one pair of legs can be longer than the other pair. The distinction between the legs of each side should be the slope of the terrace.
- Take further care whereas checking the vegetation positioned on a slanted terrace.
- Do not forget that change in materials, dimension, and quantity will change the full price.
Edited by Divya Sethu
All photograph credit: Okay T Sajeevan