The Tiny Desk is working from dwelling for the foreseeable future. Introducing NPR Music’s Tiny Desk (dwelling) concert events, bringing you performances from throughout the nation and the world. It is the identical spirit — stripped-down units, an intimate setting — only a completely different house.
Ada Lea‘s Tiny Desk (dwelling) live performance opens simply as her 2021 album, one hand on the steering wheel the opposite stitching a backyard, does: with the careening, stunning monitor “rattling.” It is the story of a turbulent New Yr’s Eve get together, informed by songwriter Alexandra Levy’s stream-of-conscious supply. Right here, she and her band lean into the track’s slowly simmering rigidity and frustration, ending on an especially shut shot of Levy’s expressive face within the track’s last moments.
As Ada Lea, Levy excels at writing observational, suave indie rock; one hand…, her sophomore album, seems like a companion for driving round a metropolis nicely and feeling a pang of nostalgia on each different block. The truth is, most of the songs seize life in and round Montreal, the place Levy grew up — fittingly, this (dwelling) live performance was shot at that metropolis’s storied recording studio Hotel2Tango. The songs are sharply detailed and dreamy — like “accomplice,” the second track on this set, which Levy says is a continuation of the story in “rattling.” For “author in ny,” Levy relocates together with her guitar to a settee; bandmate Felicity DeCarle, who additionally performs synth throughout the efficiency, sits beside her on the ground providing beautiful harmonies. And simply because the album ends, Ada Lea’s (dwelling) live performance closes out with “damage,” a contemplative monitor about isolation and indecision that is made heat and cathartic on this rendition.
- “author in ny”
- Alexandra Levy: vocals, guitar
- Chris Hauer: guitar, vocals
- Felicity DeCarle: synth, vocals
- Leighton Harrell: bass
- Valérie Lacombe: drums
- Course and manufacturing: Monse Muro, Erica Orofino
- Audio: Shae Brossard
- Editor: Alexa Gagnon
- Cameras: Felix Perreault, Lea Dumouli, Erica Orofino
- Shade: Monse Muro
- Costume Design: Kayleigh Choiniere
- Recorded at Hotel2Tango, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
TINY DESK TEAM
- Producer: Bob Boilen
- Video Producer: Michael Zamora
- Audio Mastering: Josh Rogosin
- Tiny Manufacturing Staff: Bobby Carter, Kara Body, Joshua Bryant, Maia Stern, Ashley Pointer
- VP, Visuals and Music: Keith Jenkins
- Senior VP, Programming: Anya Grundmann