In the event you’re serious about adopting a guinea pig, right here’s what it’s worthwhile to learn about guinea pig vitamin, housing and extra!
Cautious consideration earlier than adopting, together with analysis and planning, plus loads of love, endurance and a way of humour, will foster a robust and loving relationship that may assist you uncover the enjoyment of guinea pigs, and make you pals for all times!
A whole day by day guinea pig food regimen consists of a vast provide of Timothy hay, loads of contemporary greens, a small quantity of guinea pig pellets enriched with vitamin C, and a small portion of fruit. Guinea pigs develop particular person meals preferences, however some frequent favourites embrace:
- Snap peas
- Romaine lettuce
Contemporary water ought to at all times be out there and is greatest supplied in a sipper bottle on the facet of their enclosure.
Along with good vitamin, guinea pigs profit vastly from supervised train exterior of their major enclosure. This area must be in a protected, well-secured room with no entry to cords, wires, stairs or open vents. Present your pet with toys to play with and a particular place to cover.
The enamel of guinea pigs continually develop, which signifies that chewing objects are important for his or her dental well being. Hay, agency greens and non-toxic wooden chews are nice additions to their enclosures for this function.
Males might be neutered by veterinarians who’re very conversant in guinea pig surgical procedure. By neutering males, they are often paired with females whereas stopping undesirable pregnancies. Different pairings that work effectively are females collectively and males who had been raised collectively.
Enable your guinea pig to smell your hand and use his or her favorite meals to achieve their belief. As soon as they’re comfy, decide them up gently and slowly. Gently place one hand behind their entrance legs, cupping their chest, whereas utilizing the opposite hand to help their hind finish and again toes always. Guinea pigs are most comfy when horizontal and near your physique or in your lap.
Leaping down could cause critical harm to guinea pigs, so dealing with them whereas sitting on the ground is most secure. Guinea pigs shouldn’t be picked up or carried by younger youngsters, as they will simply free themselves from a baby’s grasp. When returning your pet to his or her enclosure, they need to be launched instantly onto the ground.
Nail filing must be finished month-to-month and might be simply demonstrated by a veterinarian or an RVT. Each lengthy and short-haired guinea pigs can even want common brushing, with a tender child brush.
Cages must be as giant as you may accommodate. The minimal dimension for a cage for one or two guinea pigs is 7.5 sq. toes, however the bigger you may accommodate the higher. One of the best location in your guinea pigs enclosure is in a shared a part of your own home the place your guinea pig might be a part of the household and monitored carefully, out of direct daylight and off the ground shielded from different household pets.
- Enclosures ought to have strong bottoms to forestall foot accidents and be lined with shredded newspaper, grass hay, aspen or hardwood shavings. Take away dirty shavings day by day and provides the enclosure an intensive cleansing every week. As guinea pigs are startled simply, a hiding place should be supplied. They need to have entry to a hiding place always, for once they want some quiet. To advertise the well being of your guinea pig, objects resembling toys, hammocks and platforms with ramps must be added to their enclosure. The checklist of toys is countless, however some very reasonably priced objects embrace:
- Paper luggage full of hay
- Ping pong balls
- Paper towel rolls (reduce lengthwise)
Guinea pigs are very social animals and are happiest once they have one other guinea pig companion, and a spotlight from their human relations. Even effectively socialized guinea pigs might nip if startled, so solely permit older youngsters and adults to deal with them.
Guinea pigs have good color imaginative and prescient and nice listening to, enabling them to be taught to reply to particular sounds. With some endurance and persistence, they will even be educated to make use of litter packing containers!
Issues to keep away from
Keep away from the next potential hazards to offer your pet guinea pig with a protected atmosphere:
- Sawdust, cedar, pine and corn-cob bedding could cause sickness and toxicity
- Train balls and operating wheels that aren’t designed for guinea pigs may end up in critical accidents
- Entry to handled or painted wooden
- Unsupervised time with younger youngsters, outdoor or free-roaming in the home
- Toxic meals resembling rhubarb, chocolate, potato, seeds and nuts
- Putting the cage in fixed direct daylight, a storage or a laundry room
- Offering grass, clover or dandelions from a yard handled with pesticides or fertilizers
Guinea pigs dwell, on common, 4 to eight years so make sure you’re prepared for the dedication earlier than adopting. Some guinea pigs might dwell so long as 10 years!
In the event you’re occupied with adopting a guinea pig, hold your eye on the Ontario SPCA adoption website to look at for guinea pigs in search of a loving residence.